St. Louis County Historical Society Grants
St. Louis County MN Historical Society

Grants

 

Grant Award

St. Louis County Historical Society has been chosen to receive a grant from the Legacy Amendment’s Arts and Cultural Heritage Fund in the amount of $150,000 for the fabrication and installation of an exhibit, which includes pieces from our Eastman Johnson art collection and a selection of our Ojibwe artifacts. 

 

 

 



 

 

 

Depot Foundation Grant Award

The St. Louis County Historical Society is pleased to announce a grant award from the Depot Foundation from the Foundation’s Muriel Whiteside Charitable Trust fund of $18,000 to create a large, long-term educational exhibit which will tell the story of St. Louis County’s history from 1856 to the present.  It will also include some “pre-history”, going back much further in time.  The exhibit will be designed to be freestanding and movable; however, it will reside primarily in the Great Hall of the Depot, serving to enhance the museum program of the Society and also the entire St. Louis County Heritage & Arts Center – the entire Depot building.   

Approximately 44 running feet of flat panel exhibit structures will be constructed, as well as a complementary, museum quality wooden lighted display case in which to display Society artifacts which will amplify the visitor’s experience. The case will be designed with harmony with the Depot’s Great Hall in mind.  According to Society Executive Director JoAnne Coombe:  “The Depot Foundation is an ongoing source of support that is very much appreciated.  Their Grants Committee visited us and took time to learn our ideas and view our operations.”

The History of St. Louis County – 1856 to date will open in mid-2012, the 90th Anniversary year of the Society.  Other special events are also being planned in conjunction with and in celebration of this anniversary.

St. Louis County Historical Society is a 501©3 non-profit organization located at 506 W. Michigan St., Duluth, Minnesota.  The general nature and purpose of the Society is the discovery, preservation, and dissemination of knowledge about the history and prehistory of St. Louis County and the State of Minnesota.  In addition to collecting and preserving objects of material culture and historical research material, the Society maintains and operates a museum and materially participates in the collections and operations of a historical research center adequate to serve the region encompassing St. Louis County and northeastern Minnesota.  In addition, the mission of the Society directly complements the broader mission of St. Louis County government “to provide its people those services mandated and/or expected by its citizens so as to provide a good quality of life.”

 

 

MHS Grants  

The Minnesota Historical Society has awarded a Minnesota Historical and Cultural Heritage Grant in the amount of $5,690 to St. Louis County Historical Society for disaster planning.  This is the second grant awarded to the Society this year from funds provided through the Minnesota Historical and Cultural Heritage Fund, which was created with passage of the Clean Water, Land and Legacy Amendment to the Minnesota Constitution by voters in the November 2008 election. These grants are awarded to support projects of enduring value for the cause of history and historic preservation across the state. 

The first grant, in the amount of $6,500, was awarded for the Society’s Eastman Johnson Collection Storage Cabinets project.  These cabinets were designed and constructed by Delta Designs, Ltd. of Topeka, Kansas.  This grant significantly supported the long-term preservation and security of the Society’s greatest treasure of art work, the entire collection of Ojibwe-themed oil paintings and charcoal drawings done by Eastman Johnson during 1857 – 1858 while he was in residence at the “Head of the Lakes” (now known as the Duluth-Superior area) and in Grand Portage.

St. Louis County Historical Society is a 501© (3) non-profit organization located at 506 W. Michigan St. (St. Louis County Heritage & Arts Center, popularly known as the Depot), Duluth, Minnesota.  The general nature and purpose of the Society is the discovery, preservation, and dissemination of knowledge about the history and prehistory of St. Louis County and the State of Minnesota.  In addition to collecting and preserving objects of material culture and historical research material, the Society maintains and operates a museum and materially participates in the collections and operations of a historical research center adequate to serve the region encompassing St. Louis County and northeastern Minnesota.

In addition, the mission of the Society directly complements the broader mission of St. Louis County government “to provide its people those services mandated and/or expected by its citizens so as to provide a good quality of life.”

From MHS website: http://www.mnhs.org/legacy/grants/funded/2011_october.htm

"St. Louis County Historical Society (Duluth) To produce construction documents for a gallery and adjacent museum storage to preserve Eastman Johnson art works and Ojibwe artifacts. $7,000.00" 

  

We also extend our sincere thanks to the following granting agencies that have helped us with projects and programs over the years:

  

Duluth-Superior Area Community Foundation

Duluth-Superior Pride

JNM Gift Trust

Minnesota Historical Society

Minnesota Humanities Commission

United States Steel Foundation

Wildey H. Mitchell Family Foundation 

 

Please check back for updates. 

 

Copyright 2007-2008 St. Louis County Historical Society